Thursday, March 17, 2011

the mystery of equanimity

a lover of wisdom came to one who secluded himself
in meditation and asked to be accepted as one of them.
the master of meditation replied, “my daughter, may you be
blessed from heaven, for your intention is good.
but let me know: have you attained equanimity or not?”

she responded, “master, clarify your words.”
he explained, “my daughter, if one person honors you
and another humiliates you, are the two equal
in your eyes or not?”

she answered, “by the life of your soul, my master!
i do feel pleasure and satisfaction from the one who honors me
and pain from the one who humiliates me -
yet i am not vengeful nor do i bear a grudge.”

the master said, “my daughter, go away in peace.
for as long as you have not attained equanimity
and still feel humiliation from something done to you,
you are not ready for your thought to be linked on high.
you are not ready to come and seclude yourself in meditation.
go and humble your heart further, genuinely,
until you attain equanimity.
then you can experience aloneness.”
as told by rabbi avner


polishing one's humility is humbling, indeed..
steel wool, spring water, chamois ~
i am the polish; i am the cloth
i am the dull; i am the bright...
it is gratitude that is the elbow grease..

equanimity....?
thank you for your comments..
they are a pleasure to me.
and as our mamas have told us:
if you can't say something nice, don't say it!

No comments: