Saturday, July 23, 2016

there will come soft rains..


there will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
and swallows circling with their shimmering sound;

and frogs in the pools singing in the night,
and wild plum trees in tremulous white;

robins will wear their feathery fire,
whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;

and not one will know of the war, not one
will care at last when it is done.
not one would mind, neither bird nor tree,
if mankind perished utterly;

and spring herself, when she woke at dawn
would scarcely know that we were gone.
                             ~ sara teasdale


this poem and sentiment comes to mind and heart
when i get tangled up in any of the seductions ~
power..bigotry..intolerance..
elections..war zones..terror..
trees being logged and hauled
for the bigger, better homes of glory..
& my own judgement therein

in the early morning walkabout..
the wind rises..the sun moves up..
goldfinch plays tag on the
scrub bush and berry..
robin hops the two step in front -
leading the way along the path..
bunny and bunny (after bunny)
scampers from hiding place to hiding place..
heron..glides as their pterodactyl cousin..
hugeness and grace ..to rest
on a wire just above no name slough..
hawk sits and sits and sits on phone pole
waiting for food to show itself..

are they in any way, shape or form
wringing their wings and fur about anything
that the humanoids are up to..?
i think not..

over and ever
i urge myself to join their club..
the wild..the peace of wild..
as wendell b. speaks of:

When despair for the world grows in me 
and I wake in the night at the least sound 
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be, 
I go and lie down where the wood drake 
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds. 
I come into the peace of wild things 
who do not tax their lives with forethought 
of grief. I come into the presence of still water. 
And I feel above me the day-blind stars 
waiting with their light. For a time 
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

always and ever again ~
counsel to myself..
and others who ask..
stay awake..
be feral..
be  fearless..


No comments: