Saturday, November 21, 2020

the snare of gratitude

 

there have been o so many people in my life 

who have been kind, generous, 

willing to come to my aid on my way to ..

wherever..

here, now..

'tis a practice of mr. rogers, isn't it..

to take ....  what? 5 minutes 

to recall a face, an action

holding them with your inner vision..

your heart/mind ~

to recollect the kindness that slid you 

to the next move on your chessboard of life.

after watching the queen's gambit..

(i think i qualify as a binger of the series..)

i was touched by the many who uplifted 

the young protaganist along her way..

magnanimously.. 

(from the latin.. magnus animus - great soul)


afterwards, i sat for a time reminiscing

the faces, the places, the benevolence

showered upon me throughout my life..

what a worthy practice !


most thanksgivings i share this poem by rumi..

and here we go again:


giving thanks for abundance 

is sweeter than the abundance itself:

thankfulness is the soul of beneficence,

abundance is but the husk,

for thankfulness brings you

to the place where the Beloved lives.

abundance yields heedlessness;

thankfulness, alertness:

hunt for bounty with the snare of gratitude...


                               thankfulness, alertness

                                     translated by kabir helminski

                                         edited a wee bit by djl


sitting quietly with the countless souls

who have traversed this splendid life

with me, 

who guided me, 

led the way, 

paved my streets with gold, 

held me back, 

pushed me onward..

~ nothing to do 

but bow my head 

~ tasting the saltysweet 

honeyed tears 

of thankfulness..

 

....should one who is absorbed with the 

Generous One

be distracted by the gift?


it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood





No comments: