Friday, August 19, 2011

letting go

stuff!

it has always been a most delightful thing
for me to sell oodles of stuff
that seems to accumulate
in cupboards, closets, under stairways..
to offer stuff to goodwill, soroptimist, st.paul's
to unstuff the stuff that stuff stuffs up...

it is my vision
to have so little stuff when i die,
that no one will
have to fiddle-dee-dee with stuff..
since i am getting older..
closer to my death day..
we know that death is certain
yet not the time of death

it makes perfect sense
to be on the trajectory
of unstuffing stuff..

books..books..
i remembre a scene from the movie -
the razor's edge..
the newer one with bill murray..
how he went up to the himalayas..
up, up into the snowy peaks..
with his bag of books..
he ended up..
ripping out the pages of books
to use as kindling/firewood..
to keep warm..
the smile of understanding on his face was..
enlightened!

then there are clothes..
i know, i know..
fashion..
ricardo montaban says:
it is better to look good than to feel good!
& he may have something there..
yet how much, how many..
i have waaaay too many shoes..
how many feet do i have?
in india.. moons ago,
i was in the market
with a teacher and friend..
we were shopping for hats..
i wanted more than one..of course..
he simply said..
how many heads do you have?
i bought two..
.... two heads!

kitchen stuff..
dishes, silver, pots and pans..
bedding..sheets and pillows..
we must have more than one head..
all those best western hotels
have at least four pillows on each bed..
and a few more in the closet!

bags..
bags and baskets..and boxes..
these come in very handy
to put all the stuff
that stuff needs to be stuffed in...

being homeless..
relatively speaking..
bags are invaluable..
bag it.. in the bag..
i have baskets full of boxes and boxes full of bags..
help!

i have only one car, one bike..
that's a relief..
no boats, or motorcycles or rv's..
one phone, one laptop, one printer..
one electric tea kettle ~

too much stuff..
too much energi thinking about stuff..
unstuff the mind....
tea..that's it..
time for a cuppa..

drinking a cup of tea,
i unstuffed the world

2 comments:

Just Don said...

Is it things
we need to detach
ourselves from
or something more difficult
Do I dare to stand naked
before myself letting
me see myself and then
accepting
my unadorned presence
inside myself
let your evening meditation
reflect on that

snappingaway said...

I like this post very much... whenever I 'unload' some item to someone, I feel happy in a weird way, deep down inside.. however, I have been consciously 'purging' since 1996, and I really can't find all that extra space??? where does THAT go? oh well, I will continue to 'give away, every day!' ps- your orange tank top went to jenna pss- my 25th pair of shoes went to a very pregnant friend with deeply veined ankles... she so desperately needed cushiony shoes, w/ no resources to make a purchase..
voila!!!!!!!!!!!! donna to the rescue. peace. and Love.